[gnso-iocrc-dt] Preparation for Tomorrow's Call

Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU
Wed Mar 21 15:27:23 CET 2012

Thank you, Avri, and thank you to all members who have filed comments.
I think it's a good idea for the Policy Committees to file in support of
our members' comments. I will put something together for the NCSG-PC
before 23 March.

As Avri says, it is not likely that we can "stop the train". I am
hoping, however, that at the very least the Drafting Team will consider
amending the motion and/or splitting it so that the final resolution is
less sweeping and more nuanced than it currently is. Because of the
Council voting rules, even if all 6 NCSG Councilors vote No or Abstain
(which under the rules amounts to a No vote), motions for all but PDPs
are carried by a simple majority of each House. Assuming that the
Contracted Parties House all vote in the way indicated in Costa Rica,
there will be a unanimous vote from that House; from the Non-Contracted
Parties House, I expect all 6 of the Commercial Stakeholder Group
Councilors as well as the 1 NomCom-appointed Councilor to also vote yes,
for a simple majority of 7.

FWIW the NomCom-appointed Councilor to our House understands our
objections and views to some extent, but I do not believe he will change
his vote. As a NomCom appointee, he is not tied to or bound to any SG or
constituency viewpoint.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong at law.unh.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on
the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584
As of August 30, 2010, Franklin Pierce Law Center has affiliated with
the University of New Hampshire and is now known as the University of
New Hampshire School of Law. Please note that all email addresses have
changed and now follow the convention: firstname.lastname at law.unh.edu.
For more information on the University of New Hampshire School of Law,
please visit law.unh.edu