Fwd: [governance] Verisign seizes .com domain registered via foreign Registrar on behalf of US Authorities

JFC Morfin jefsey at JEFSEY.COM
Sat Mar 10 12:22:43 CET 2012

At 07:57 10/03/2012, Nicolas Adam wrote:
>Well I think I meant the com zone but I was under the impression -
>perhaps terminologically challenged, maybe worst - that the com zone
>was a subpart of the root zone.

Nickolas,

The DNS works as RFCs stated it should work. This is a machine set.

The DNS is used the way we accept it to be used. It happens that so
far Internet users have drastically reduced the DNS to the sole
ICANN/NTIA's "IN" CLASS and that they have adopted a real time
dissemination of its root file along Paul Vixie's ideas.  ICANN's
ideas are stated in ICP-3. Open Roots ideas have been confused by
their opponents and where inappropriate when compared to the ICP-3
proposed settlement. DJ Berstein's (djbdns) and Sam Trenholme's
(MaraDNS) ideas and Microsoft choices also influence the picture.
Vint Cerf's ideas are embodied in Google+ and Public DNS real capabilities.

This has led to a DNS management situation where legal decisions
enforced in their sovereign territory have unexpected impacts outside
of these territories. The DNS RFCs fully document how we can prevent
these collateral damages. A solution that prevents iced domain names
to be affected are legal outside of the USA and illegal inside the
USA. This has nothing to do with the Internet. but with the US Law.

That these solutions which belong to the Internet technology are not
being used has only to do with the way we (do not) use the Internet.

jfc