Suggested agenda topics for the ALAC/NCSG meeting in Prague?

Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU
Tue Jun 5 17:08:37 CEST 2012

Thanks, Evan and Bill.

One thing that has increasingly bothered me - connected with the poor
communications and outreach ICANN did for the new gTLD program rollout -
is the still-substantial misunderstanding over IDNs, especially in
regions such as Asia. I'd be surprised (and pleasantly so) if there is a
large number of applications for new IDN-based gTLDs when Reveal Day
rolls around next week. If there isn't, or even if there is, perhaps
NCSG & ALAC could coordinate on efforts to increase ICANN's commitment
and attention to users in those parts of the world that are likely to be
heavily reliant on IDNs for Internet access and participation.

Note: I'm not saying ICANN should get into the business of ensuring
greater Internet access in under-served regions of the world, which is
beyond its mandate; rather, I'm saying that its "one world one Internet"
slogan would be undermined if in rolling out IDNs it fails to ensure
thorough implementation and understanding of what those are.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong at law.unh.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on
the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584>>>