Opinions? Fwd: [] List of possible approaches for Red Cross/IOC names in new gTLDS

Tamir Israel tisrael at CIPPIC.CA
Tue Jul 24 01:53:19 CEST 2012

On 7/23/2012 2:52 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> The kind of issue people in ALAC were responding to were the
> short-term scam sites such as "redcrosshaitirelief.com
> <http://redcrosshaitirelief.com>", ones that specifically used the
> charity's name (specifically its conventional Internet 2LD names)
> inside bogus 2LD strings. As I mentioned in the earlier email, there's
> also agreement that nothing is special about the Red Cross in this
> regard, I would consider "unicefhaitifelief.org
> <http://unicefhaitifelief.org>" or "oxfamhaitirelief.net
> <http://oxfamhaitirelief.net>" to be just as bad.

What happens to redcross.haitirelief.com? That does not even need the
intervention of a registrar, and I don't think the average user will
greatly distinguish between the two....Also, can someone please explain
why this issue is being raised in the context of new TLDs if everyone
agrees the latter do nothing substantial to change the risk of phishing
in this context?

On 7/23/2012 1:54 PM, David Cake wrote:
> it seems to me, from discussions with the charities, that the*real*  solution that the charities need (and not just the ICRC, with its unique legal protections, but ANY charity) is basically a takedown solution like those provided by the APWG etc.

Notice takedown regimes seem to do more to exacerbate misuses of IP than
they do to actually ameliorate phishing, fraud or actual IP violations.
The current UDRP already provides for expedited (relative to court)
remedies, does it not?

On 7/23/2012 1:21 AM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> However, a complete response of "do nothing, everything's OK" may
> indicate an ICANN that is insensitive to the public consequences of
> its policies

I don't think anyone is saying 'everything's OK', I think people are
saying it is unlikely that ICANN can provide any more effective remedy
to the situation without causing greater harm than good.

Best,
Tamir