Opinions? Fwd: [] List of possible approaches for Red Cross/IOC names in new gTLDS

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 20 22:38:05 CEST 2012

Something like the berkman study would help if there would be lots of
litterature to classify and assess. But I suspect there will be scarce
learned-opinions on the matter as of yet. Which means that the
contracted learned opinion will be among the very first ones, and i do
not think this would be wise.

The only way this would be wise would be a consortium of legal scholars
giving all possible interpretation angles, within a wide mandate to do
so. Folks let's not forget that the legal world is not laid on a
presumed pre-political or pre-social matrix and that in most
circumstances, it can just not be *found*, it has to be interpreted.

Furthermore, the determination of the interrelation between ICANN and
different levels of legal juridiction is very much a political
determination. Pretending that it could be legally *found* by a
contractor is just another political way of trying to assert it. The
fact that it is a political way that denies its political nature doesn't
change its nature in the least bit. The political arena where the
political games become played by pretending that the political arena
doesn't exist is a sorry one indeed.

I'm unsure on which other options I would like to pursue. Maybe think
about them all still ;(

Nicolas