gTLD for developing regions

Horacio T. Cadiz hcadiz at PH.NET
Fri Jul 13 10:00:10 CEST 2012

On 07/12/2012 10:47 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

   Correct. The USD185,00 just gets your foot in.
I would have to agree with Milton's (and Evan's) analysis
that applying for a new gTLD was not worth it, specially
for the non-Coms.

   In fact, even commercial entities (without very deep pockets)
would now be hard-pressed to show that their initial USD185,00 ++
(consultancy fees, etc) investments would bear fruit in the very
near future. No one even knows when the batching process
would start!

   Then again, why are we bewailing this issue? Were non-comms and
small companies ever the intended target of the new
gTLD program?

   For the IDN program, it would have made more sense to me
if the individual ccTLDs were opened up to the various governments
(or tripartite entities) so that they could have their own ccTLDs
in their own scripts/language -- without the need for a very
complicated new gTLD process.

--
Bombim Cadiz