gTLD for developing regions

Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU
Thu Jul 12 18:13:40 CEST 2012

Putting aside (for a moment) the very real political, substantive, procedural and cost issues that plagued the launch of this first round of new gTLD applications, it seems to me that the remediation issue Avri brings up is a very real subject that NCSG members can rally around. Specifically, we may either have the "in house" expertise, or be able to persuade those outside this community that do, to help answer the following questions - hopefully in a sufficiently concrete manner so as to minimize the risk that the next round will also fail in this regard:

- what would potential developing country applicants without a deep background or industry experience need to know about running a registry that basic training or briefings can at least start them off with?

- what (besides fees and costs) are the barriers to entry (e.g. the uneven geographical distribution of registrars? the patchy reseller network?)?

- what demand is there in different developing regions/countries/communities for new gTLDs that isn't already substantially available (i.e. the Evan question)?

- who/what are the entities/organizations/companies/consultants/individuals who would be qualified and willing to work with potential applicants through an application round?

And so on ... I know a number of these issues have been discussed already, but perhaps it would be useful for NCSG to come up with some kind of position paper or set of concrete recommendations between now and the next round.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH 03301USAEmail: mary.wong at law.unh.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage: http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584>>>