NYTimes: International Olympic Committee - "elitist, domineering, and crassly commercial at its core"

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Fri Jul 6 14:54:46 CEST 2012

Hi,

There are many definitions I think. And given that many national economies don't have a class of entity registration called non profit, it can be difficult.  This is especially complicated because the charter calls for not only non commercial structure but non commercial purposes - or else every Chamber of Commerce would qualify for NCSG membership, not that any have applied as far as I know.

But in the NCSG we do have a method of making a final decision on the issue of whether an organization is commercial or non-commercial vis a vis NCSG.  Under the charter, should an organization be deemed commercial and rejected for membership when it and many others beleive it is non-commercial, a vote can be called based on section 2.4.2.1 of the NCSG charter.  The process requires 15 members to petition the decision, an attempt to reconcile the view of the petitioners and EC, and then if all else fails a vote.

avri