knitters needle

William Drake william.drake at UZH.CH
Thu Jul 5 07:10:18 CEST 2012

On Jul 5, 2012, at 2:43 AM, Rafik Dammak wrote:

> some GAC members from developing regions followed JAS (support applicant working group) work and GAC itself supported the recommendations,we can assume that we already started working with them.
>  the board was also pushed about the outreach efforts but little was done regarding that matter and the implementation by ICANN staff missed the whole thing although many people from the community warned them.

In Prague we asked the Board for an accounting of ICANN's planning and actions on outreach to potential applicants, including those needing support, in developing countries and got a general 'we'll look into it' sort of response.  Suggest we put down a visible marker and follow up with a formal letter to seeking a more concrete reply.  Could also coordinate with ALAC and GAC friendlies on this issue if they've not already submitted similar letters.  If there's agreement, perhaps our JAS leaders who are closest to the action could take a crack at drafting a couple paragraphs?

On Jul 4, 2012, at 5:14 PM, Rafik Dammak wrote:

> I am also wondering if the new RAA with new provisions creates de facto  new economic and technical barriers to new entrants from developing regions and only benefits to incumbents (what about competition and anti-trust?) while possible provisions like validation and verification won't encourage those incumbents registrars to operate in Africa for example.

This is another whole area worth following up on.  We've engaged on the proper balance between LEA & civil liberties, but the broader sort of question that Michele Neylon raised in the Council meeting merits some consideration too (related: http://www.circleid.com/posts/20120529_dont_make_us_treat_our_customers_like_criminals/).  How will the general tightening of LEA conditions impact not only registrars but registrants in developing countries, and beyond.  This is a place where several lines of interest among NCSGers would seem to intersect.

Best,

Bill