knitters needle

Andrew A. Adams aaa at MEIJI.AC.JP
Thu Jul 5 02:07:44 CEST 2012

 Adam Peake <ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP> wrote:

> GAC also concerned about lack of diversity with tech providers, lack
> of accredited registrars from developing countries.

Given that our recent efforts at ICAN have been in opposition to GAC
proposals (demands?) I think that in political terms, having identified this
common ground with them that it would be very useful to make significant
efforts to work positively with the GAC to press the Board hard to fund
outreach efforts in this area. In Asia in particular there are some countries
with fast-growing Internet connectivity (Malaysia, Thailand) where promoting
the possibility of local registrars and local TLDs would be worthwhile. We
must be careful not to try to dictate that these countries MUST want/have
such things, but working with people in-country to promote the options and to
understand what barriers exist IF there is demand is definitely worthwhile,
IMHO.

Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/