Subscription configuration (was: [NCSG-Discuss] knitters needle)

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at INTERNETGOVERNANCE.ORG
Tue Jul 3 18:17:36 CEST 2012

Hello Michael,

It is your prerogative to unsubscribe from the NCSG-Discuss list.  However,
may I offer a couple less drastic alternatives?  (These suggestions may
come in handy for others, so I'm cc'ing the list)

1. Set your subscription to digest.

With a "digest" subscription, you receive larger messages (called
"digests") at regular intervals, usually once per day or once per week.
These "digests" are collections of individual list postings.  Digests are a
good compromise between reading everything as it is posted and feeling like
the list is clogging your mailbox with a multitude of individual postings.

2. Set your subscription to index.

With an "index" subscription, you receive short "index" messages at regular
intervals, usually once per day or once per week. These "indexes" show you
what is being discussed on the list, without including the text of the
individual postings. For each posting, the date, the author's name and
address, the subject of the message, and the number of lines is listed. You
can then download messages of interest from the server (the index contains
instructions on how to do that). An index subscription is ideal if you have
a slow connection and only read a few hand-picked messages. The indexes are
very short and you do not have to worry about long download times. The
drawback of course is that you need to reconnect to retrieve messages of
interest from the server

3. Set your subscription to nomail.

This option toggles off the receipt of mail from the list.  However, you
will still be able to post to the list. You may want to disable mail
delivery if you will be away from your mail for an extended period of time.

4. Configure your own email client to automatically kill/filter mail
received from the list.

This option is the most customizable.  E.g., you could filter all mail from
a specific individual, or mail which contains specific words (e.g.,
knitters).

If you have further questions, please contact me off list.  All of the list
options above can be managed by the subscriber in the Subscribers Corner
(look for the "Subscribe or Unsubscribe" link) at https://*listserv*.
syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A0=*NCSG*-DISCUSS  If none of these options work,
I'm happy to unsubscribe you (or you can do this yourself).

Regards,

Brenden Kuerbis
Internet Governance Project
http://internetgovernance.org