.CAT WHOIS Proposed Changes - call for public comments - Think hard!!

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Jan 23 20:37:32 CET 2012

It's been obvious for years that Whois does not need to contain much personal contact information in order to serve its basic technical coordination functions. The demand for more comes from law enforcement, because it allows them to bypass due process requirements, and from TM lawyers, who get free access to contact data that would in any normal industry be shielded and only released when some kind of need or requirement was provided