[At-Large] GNSO Council Motion on Cross-Community Working Groups

Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU
Thu Jan 19 01:43:17 CET 2012

I think a bloc vote against by NCSG would be counter-productive (unless, of course, all Councilors believe a No vote is justified). We had volunteers on the WG, even though that was a largely thankless and possibly fruitless task, and the fundamental problems - that the GNSO is perceived to be a unilateral entity which views itself above and apart from the other SOs, and that consequently it believes it can dictate practice to the others - won't be solved by a No vote. We also approved the formation of the WG in the first place, so trying to get some positive results out of the process at a time when volunteer time and energy is scarce is IMHO something worth trying for.

I'd be inclined to try to get an amendment through that addresses the concerns raised about the GNSO lording it over the other SOs - since we are asking to defer the motion that will give us a bit of time to think about appropriate wording. If our proposed amendment then fails, we would be legitimately positioned to do the principled abstention mentioned by Joy.

BTW, Nicolas - your contributions are very useful, so thank you for trusting us Councilors to convey your and others' views appropriately, including, where necessary, punting, compromising and strategizing!

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH 03301USAEmail: mary.wong at law.unh.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage: http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584>>>