[At-Large] GNSO Council Motion on Cross-Community Working Groups

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Tue Jan 17 23:25:50 CET 2012

Hi Bill,

Thanks for asking.

I recommend a vote against for several reasons

- Proposed in the GNSO without consultation with others.   Certainly does not show a willingness to work with others in an open environment - only willing when it is in an environment that it controls with a veto.  That isn't cooperation.  The GNSO really needs to learn how to work nicely with others.  If anything, having come up with a draft, they should be vetting it with their possible partners.

- Misunderstands  GNSO's own WG methodology.  All WGs are already open to all community members already.  The only difference about a CCWG is that  it has more than 1 chartering organization.  Each chartering organization should be able to get what it wants out of the joint work.  The ALAC may want to give advice, the GAC may want to give by-laws qualified advice, the GNSO may want to propose policy and the ccNSO may just want to share information.  What is the problem with this?

- The GNSO's. or anyone else's, position on the outcomes from a CCWG should not be limited by any other SO or AC.    Yes, if several groups can come to a general SOAC consensus, that is wonderful and should be a goal whenever possible.  But it must not be a requirement.

- Each group should be able to do what it wants with the results of a CWG.  The Board is clever enough to be able to weigh the information it gets and know what it means.

- Nothing that calls itself cross-community should be structured in a way that allows any one of the sub-groups a veto.  In my view makes cooperation impossible.

This reads like a practice for subordinating any group that the GNSO decides to interact with.  And that, to me, seems inappropriate behavior by one stakeholder in a multi-stakeholder organization.

thanks

avri