Apropos Public Comments

Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU
Tue Jan 10 23:01:58 CET 2012

Hello and sorry if I missed any subsequent discussion/decision on this. Given that the deadline for public comment is today, and I am still catching up on mailing list postings, replies and such, I sent in a brief personal comment generally supporting the At Large New gTLD WG's statement that Avri refers to below.

As it can take a bit of time before comments appear on the ICANN website, here is the comment I just submitted. I believe it is largely in line with much of our group's discussion and positions on the issue so far though it was of necessity submitted as a personal comment.

"The ICANN Board's commitment to ensuring accessibility to the new gTLD program by needy applicants, particularly those working in the public interest in developing countries, is both welcome and necessary. In addition, the work done to shape and create a workable, fair and specific program of financial assistance by the ICANN staff and community, in particular the JAS WG and the At Large New gTLD WG, is very much appreciated.

The current proposals reflect the thoughtfulness and tremendous effort that have gone into this very worthy program. Nonetheless, several concerns remain, in particular those raised by the At Large New gTLD WG in its comments concerning the use of the US$2m and the need for better, more comprehensive and directed outreach.

On the US$2m, it is possible - particularly given that the number of deserving applicants are unknown - that there may be more such deserving applicants and/or many with severe financial needs than even the fairest and most scrupulous attempt at equitable distribution might not be sufficient to provide truly meaningful assistance. In this regard the JAS and At Large New gTLD WG's suggestions as to seed funding should be further considered.

In addition, the At Large New gTLD WG's recommendation of a possible refund procedure is worth considering. Additionally, given the possibility of being disqualified from the new gTLD program altogether, certain applicants who do not meet a less critical item in the list of the threshold criteria could be given an opportunity by rhe SARP to "show cause" why they ought not to be disqualified.

On outreach, there is a real need to develop contact points, better ground level communcations and a deeper knowledge and understanding of the diversity of needs and cultures, and the means of reaching different communities, in the vast and diverse number of countries and non-homogenous cultures loosely grouped into a generic category termed the "developing world". Time is of the essence in this case, although this is a persistent issue in overall ICANN outreach - members of the ICANN community with deep ties in and members from develooing countries, such as those from At Large, the Non Commercial Stakeholder Group and the JAS WG, can be of great assistance to ICANN.

The Board's actions and the Financial Assistance criteria, process and overall program - are significant steps in the right direction after 2 years of difficult challenges and hard work. The new gTLD website, including the online Applicant Support Directory, are also good initiatives that I hope will be very helpful, particularly to new entrants to the ICANN community.

Note: I offer these comments in my personal capacity, and not on behslf of my employer or any group I am otherwise associated with, including the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group or as one of its Council representatives, which I am currently."

Cheers
Mary

"Joy Liddicoat <joy at APC.ORG>" <joy at APC.ORG> wrote:

Thanks Avri - just back from holidays and picking this up today for APC who
will make a brief submission supporting the ALAC key points, noting one or
two additional points, and emphasising the importance of this for developing
countries.
Thanks again
Joy