Apropos Public Comments

Joy Liddicoat joy at APC.ORG
Mon Jan 9 22:40:07 CET 2012

Thanks Avri - just back from holidays and picking this up today for APC who
will make a brief submission supporting the ALAC key points, noting one or
two additional points, and emphasising the importance of this for developing
countries.
Thanks again
Joy

-----Original Message-----
From: NCSG-Discuss [mailto:NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Avri
Doria
Sent: Tuesday, 10 January 2012 4:31 a.m.
To: NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Apropos Public Comments

Hi,

Thanks Bill.

The At-Large New gTLD Wg (ANgWG) is working on a comment.  It can be found
at:
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Comments+on+New+gTLD+Applicant+
Support+Program+-+Financial+Assistance>

It differs a bit from the ALAC comment because the ALAC comments was based
on a preliminary review and this is based on the ASP as submitted.  The
comment also takes into account the recent Applicant Support Program
briefing paper submitted to the Board:
<http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/board-briefing-materials-3-05jan12-en.pdf>

avri

On 9 Jan 2012, at 08:45, William Drake wrote:

> Rafik
>
> As you and Avri were our point persons in the JAS and are also both in the
ALAC group, might it make sense for you to take a first cut at two
paragraphs that summarize your/our main concerns?  If we get something short
and sweet by tomorrow hopefully the PC could do a quick turn around on any
tweaks and approval/submission..I just got off a plane to a backlog I'm not
optimized for channeling your discussions and drafting at the moment, alas.

> Bill
>
> On Jan 8, 2012, at 7:42 PM, Rafik Dammak wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> I do agree with Avri about encouraging more individual NCSG members to
send their comments, that will give definitely more weight. I agree about
endorsing ALAC statement and coordinating with ALAC on that matter.

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Rafik Dammak
>> @rafik
>> "fight for the users"
>>

>> 2012/1/7 Avri Doria <avri at acm.org>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think a statement that endorses the ALAC statement, which I just
submitted to the comment area, would be a good thing.  And if there are any
other points that people want to make that we did not cover, that would be
good too.  There is a lot more in the program that we did not comment on
because we wanted to hit the major points.

>> Also any comment from individual NCSG members, especially those from
organizations in developing economies from their perspective would be
wonderful.  Getting a viable support program from ICANN is an uphill
struggle, so any help from the NC world would be helpful.

>> avri
>>

>> On 6 Jan 2012, at 11:30, William Drake wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Avri

Applicant Support Program: Financial Assistance
<http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/new-gtld-applicant-support-handbook-
20dec11-en.htm> which ends on 10 January 2012.

>> > Would be a good thing to do, since NC members spent a lot of juice
supporting this effort in Council, JAS, etc.  At the same time, your ALAC
group statement seems to cover the main points pretty well, so it's not
clear we need a crash push to restate them differently.  Perhaps a one para
reiteration of the highlights would suffice to add a little extra wind in
the sails?