Fwd: Confirming Meeting with the Board - Tuesday 13 March - 3:30pm

Kerry Brown kerry at KDBSYSTEMS.COM
Thu Feb 23 01:14:43 CET 2012

That might be a more politically correct way to ask the question. I don't know what the answer is or should be. I just know that ICANN needs to start talking about the subject instead of dancing around it. If we ignore the perception that the US controls the Internet someone else will use that point to forcibly take control and ICANN will have no input into how it is done. The subject needs to see the light of day. It is not going away no matter how much we wish it would.

Kerry Brown

From: Nicolas Adam [mailto:nickolas.adam at gmail.com]
Sent: February-22-12 4:06 PM
To: Kerry Brown
Cc: NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [NCSG-Discuss] Fwd: Confirming Meeting with the Board - Tuesday 13 March - 3:30pm

IMO, yes ICANN need to take its distance from US jurisdiction. But an inter-national jurisdiction is not a good idea.

ICANN's legitimacy hinge on users (writ large, commercial and non, contracted and non) and it should definitely stress its non inter-national foundations, as well as its non-international plans for the future, early and often.

Asking the inter-national question just embarrass ICANN as an org, and it doesn't help it strengthen its *global* foundation.

May be I would ask if there are plans to address the perception that US has final jurisdiction (implying it does not) in order to populate the "authority/foundation by announcement" space in a manner that is most conducive to ICANN's perrenity (as beholden to all its stakeholders/communities)?

Nicolas