[governance] ICANNLeaks - Loosing Trust to Maintain the Secrecy

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 21 22:14:46 CEST 2012

I got to tell you that at my university (and the ones around), most
"progressive" students (and aren't we almost all progressive) that hears
about ICANN are ready to throw it under the bus for its "private"
governance model (read: the participation ― and presumed domination ―of
commercial entities in the governance mechanisms).

I'm as progressive as one can hope to be ― or so I am told by
conservatives ― but have always found a certain attachment to its model,
and want to see it succeed. This conflict is, btw, why I joined this
group. I couldn't share everyone's opinion that this was such a bad idea
to begin with (Lauren's, of NNSquad, is very indicative of the
learned-yet-popular wisdom on ICANN). Sure, when I was reading Rony &
Rony and Prof. Mueller's book some time ago, I was rooting for IFWP (and
Postel to stick to its guns re:root redirection) but in the end ― apart
from the *foundation issue* which I will never be happy with until
resolved ― I now root for ICANN to be all it can be. I noticed the puns.
They were unintended.

So, I don't know if this glitch is such an opportunity to reinvent (I
think not), but we should certainly be ready for when such an
opportunity is taken on by others and brought down on us by others.

It is funny and interesting in a way, that Milton would probably (I
don't want to speak on his behalf, but such is my impression) not
approve of IFWP-like moves (or was it BWG? can't remember) to try to
clarify and explicitly settle the foundational attributes of IANA
"contracts" and severe all ties to US's pretensions.

The funny part is that RTR is indubitably responsible for attracting at
least some people into ICANN and perhaps NCSG, and I'm sure that many
such people will come into ICANN with the pro rfc-attributed (or
community-attributed) iana contract preferences. The interesting part is
that I guess it's a testament to how thoroughly interesting and
relatively objective (not a big believer in the possibility of this one)
Milton's RTR was. It made me like ICANN more than I disliked its
"private" governance mechanisms.

One (of the many) threat to ICANN's system would be that progressive
people like the ones that are here stop believing that they can matter
sometimes, and if that happens, if the balance seems *irredeemably*
skewed towards one of the many commercial worldviews, then nothing but
apathy could rein in the legitimacy backlash. Apathy is strong, but you
can't count on it forever. That goes to the internal governance model,
but I don't have a ready-made reinvention opinion on this complex subject.

Another threat is directly related to ICANN's (IANA's, rather)
foundation. Those are complex social problems with complex ramifications
and distribution of forces, and as a practical matter, I can understand
people not wanting to jump into them. But, like I said, someone else
will most likely make us jump, so its not too early to start thinking
about it.

Something to think about: I'm sure when you Professors out there talk
about the complex organizational history of the Internet, you notice
right away how ICANN's polical capital is small when compared to, say,
IETF. Yet IETF is also "private" governance!

There are reasons for this difference in symbolic capital, and I would
argue that the foundation issue is paramount amongst them.

My provisional take to fix this low symbolic capital in two easy steps:

1- fix foundation/severe ties to NTIA

2- bring back at-large election

[3-do no evil!]

Nicolas