new gTLD

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Tue Apr 10 07:14:34 CEST 2012

Letter from Delaware Department of State tells more
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/bullock-to-icann-20mar12-en>
 At least one applicant, <http://dotregistry.org/> seems to have
promised the restrictions the States are asking for:

"Dot Registry is committed to creating a secure Internet network for
registered US businesses and consumers. Through our new Top Level
Domain program consumers and businesses alike can be assured that
websites bearing our TLD string are legitimate registered US
companies." <http://dotregistry.org/about-us/>

Looks like the state govts may have been made aware by an applicant(s)
and are responding to that.

GAC early warning?  My understanding is some governments are sending
information around national and regional/state/local agencies telling
them about the process and to be aware they should monitor. Perhaps
relevant, for geographic names the guidebook reflects GAC's comments
from the scorecard process saying "Note: the level of government and
which administrative agency is responsible for the filing of letters
of support or non-objection is a matter for each national
administration to determine. Applicants should consult within the
relevant jurisdiction to determine the appropriate level of support."
If this is applied for GAC early warning generally (and I can't find
the GAC's scorecard follow-up document...) then might expect advice on
any string from a local authority such as a State to be taken rather
seriously at national level.

Adam