Candidate Question 1: NCSG Particpation

Alain Berranger alain.berranger at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 30 16:20:34 CEST 2011

Dear Colleagues,

Low participation by volunteers and network members such as in NCSG
Constituencies is an universal problem in these days of multi-tasking,
social networks, multi-activities and  diverse responsibilities in a global
economy which is weak. In particular, making a living and accessing enough
resources in the not-for-profit sector these days is a daily struggle more
than ever! As a fundraising trainer for NGOs and even government agencies
these days, I find that the subject of strategic partnerships and resource
mobilization attracts wide and passionate interest.

So part of the answer is perhaps to create/increase membership benefits and
reward participation. Easier said than done! Of course, the first benefits
of participation are direct benefits: the ability to state one's view, bring
evidence and anecdotes to the group, influence policy and the
policy-stakeholders, engage in dialogue, etc... The most important benefit
in my view is indirect and consists of the opportunity to network: learning
in general, from meeting new people with different perspectives and from
different regions, languages and cultures, sharing new ideas, discovering
social entrepreneurial opportunities and even consulting and advisory
services.

In order to create membership benefits and reward participation however,
NCSG needs financial resources for organizing webinars on various training
and fundraising subjects, for bursaries for students, interns, scholars and
NFP front-linemanagers, for travel allocations to ICANN meetings and other
internet policy forums like the IGF, WSIS, etc... This in my book squarely
puts responsibility on the shoulders of Chair, EC  members and GNSO
councillors to initiate outreach activities to the donors' community and
raise funds for the NCSG community. Even small but fast track funding to
start with would be great!

What do you think?

Cheers, ALAIN BERRANGER

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 3:20 AM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org>