Hughes GNSO Council Nomination

Debra Hughes HughesDeb at USA.REDCROSS.ORG
Fri Sep 16 17:06:13 CEST 2011

Dear members of the NCSG,

I enthusiastically accept the nomination by Amber Sterling to serve as a
NCSG GNSO Council Representative.

Introduction, Gender, ICANN Geographic Region, Employment

I am a female resident of Washington, DC which is located in the North
America ICANN region.  I currently work as Senior Counsel for the
American Red Cross.  The American Red Cross is a non-profit organization
and one more than 180 member national societies of the International
Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the world's largest
humanitarian organization that provides assistance without
discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or
political opinions.  In addition, the American Red Cross distinguishes
itself by also aiding victims of devastating natural disasters. The
American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to
victims of disasters; supplies nearly half of the nation's blood;
teaches lifesaving skills; provides international humanitarian aid; and
supports military members and their families.   To further the mission
of the American Red Cross, I draft fundraising, sponsorship and grant
agreements, provide advice related to patent, copyright, trademark and
publicity concerns and advise the organization on various matters
related to consumer protection.  I also work closely with the
information technology and information security teams to manage online
fraud matters and Internet issues.

Reasons for willingness to take on the tasks of the particular position

I am anxious to continue the positive work we began since my appointment
to the ICANN GNSO Council in September 2009.  ICANN's mission of
ensuring the stable and secure operation of the DNS is vitally relevant
to the ability of non-profit and non-governmental organizations to
deliver services on behalf of the members and communities they serve.  I
am committed to collaborating with diverse non commercial users and
developing and advancing non commercial viewpoints within the ICANN
community.  I believe it is important for all members of civil society
with varying, yet equally important perspectives, to all actively
participate and be represented in ICANN's bottom-up policy development
process.

Qualifications for the job

Through my professional experiences and my volunteer activities, I
provide legal advice related to managing domain portfolios, using
domains to further missions and goals, and to improve operational
efficiency and internal communications.  In addition, I have helped
organizations manage phishing and online attacks and I have provided
advice related to online fraud and abuse matters.

My activities during my previous term as a GNSO Councilor demonstrate
my: (1) understanding of ICANN and the DNS; (2) appreciation of the
value the DNS brings to individuals and organizations; (3) success with
coalition building, outreach and genuine respect for differing opinions;
(4) ability to compromise and communicate with professionalism and with
a collaborative spirit; and (5) ability to collaborate on a global
platform.

In addition, I outline a few of my ICANN specific activities:

Commitment to Global Outreach:

When I was appointed as a GNSO Councilor, I agreed to serve not only as
a GNSO Council representative for nonprofit organizations/NGOs, but to
also spend time exploring the creation of a new nonprofit constituency.
After much outreach, input and hard work, the voice of NCSG has grown by
the formal recognition of the Not-for-Profit Operational Concerns
Constituency (NPOC) in June 2011.  NPOC has many members that are new to
the ICANN community and this successful outreach activity furthers
ICANN's multi-stakeholder model that values the assembly of diverse
viewpoints.

Also, I participated as chair of Task 2 of the Operations Steering
Committee's Constituency and Stakeholder Group Operations Work Team that
was directed to develop recommendations for a global outreach program to
broaden participation in GNSO constituencies.  Our Work Team
successfully prepared recommendations for the creation of an Outreach
Task Force and that recommendation was approved by the GNSO Council.

Most recently, I am serving on the Charter Drafting team for the
Outreach Task Force.  "The mission of the Outreach Task Force (OTF) is
to develop strategies to attract new participants in GNSO activities,
and identify activities that may improve the visibility, understanding
and participation in the GNSO."  I actively and regularly participated
in the conference calls and work of the Drafting Team.  The team
completed the draft charter and last week, the draft was submitted to
the GNSO Council for consideration.

Commitment to Participation in Policy Development:

In addition to my participation in the groups mentioned above, I have
participated in ICANN's bottom-up, multi-stakeholder model by preparing
public comments related to various topics, including: the Joint SO/AC
Working Group Report; multiple versions of the New gTLD Draft Applicant
Guidebook; the proposed Aspects of an Expressions of Interest (EOI) and
Pre-Registration Model; the Initial Report on Vertical Integration
Between Registrars and Registries; and ICANN's Initial Report on
Proposals for Improvements to the Registrar Accreditation Agreement
(RAA).

Statement of availability for the time the job requires/Conflicts of
Interest.

I have the time to actively participate in the conference calls, email
discussions, meetings and other activities of the GNSO Council and to
work and coordinate within the NCSG as a NCSG Councilor.  I have no
conflicts of interest.

Respectfully Submitted,

/Debra Y. Hughes/

Debra Y. Hughes