Candidate Statement

Joy Liddicoat joy at APC.ORG
Sun Sep 18 21:58:22 CEST 2011

Hello everyone. Thanks again to the NCUC for nominating me. I am honoured to
run for election to the GNSO Council and accept this nomination.

.      Name, declared region of residence, gender and employment;

Joy Liddicoat, Asia Pacific, Female, Senior Project Co-ordinator,
Association for Progressive Communications. Chair, Domain Name Commission
Limited, the regulator of .nz.

.      Any conflicts of interest;

No conflicts of interest.

.      Reasons for willingness to take on the tasks of the particular
position;

ICANN has a unique role coordinating a global public resource, the DNS. But
the legitimacy of this role is being tested by the new gTLDs processes and
looming confrontations between likely applicants and governments over
contested strings. While a focus of this contest is the outcomes of likely
applications, the process of decision-making will also be a measure of ICANN
legitimacy. In this complex and tense environment ICANN must have a strong
human rights perspective and this must come from the GNSO. ICANN needs
leadership from the GNSO and it needs new ideas and that is why I am willing
to stand for election now. I believe the time is right, for example, for the
GNSO to develop a human rights framework of interpretation to guide ICANN
decision-making. The current human rights discourse in ICANN is too narrow
and the voices unevenly balanced, focusing on a small range of rights rather
than on the universal human rights of all. The GNSO also needs members that
bring multiple and diverse perspectives, rather than a singular focus.
Council members must be able to listen and be trusted to apply a principled
approach when upholding NCUG interests as a whole. I bring these qualities
from my own experience as well as from the APC perspectives.

APC is a global network with members in more than 35 countries that believes
in a free and open internet that is accessible to all. I bring a wide range
of outreach with the APC network members, staff, and project partners and
the ability to highlight issues that are important to developing country
delegates or development issues more generally. APC has been a member of
NCUC for a long time. While it has not always been active, APC sees that the
time is right to re-engage and bring the scope of its membership and
activities to specific issues in relation to Internet governance.

.      Qualifications for the position;

I bring a unique mix of non-commercial user perspectives. I am a human
rights lawyer and from 2002 and 2010 was a Commissioner with the New Zealand
Human Rights Commission. In 2010 I initiated the inaugural human rights and
the Internet roundtable, bringing together technical community
representatives and human rights advocates. I currently work for APC
coordinating the "Internet Rights are Human Rights" project
http://rights.apc.org. In 2010 I was awarded the degree of Master of Laws
(with distinction) from Victoria University in New Zealand. My dissertation,
"Domain name dispute resolution: is private dispute resolution working?",
involved original research into .nz domain name disputes. I am familiar with
IPR issues and the UDRP. I am a domain name registrant and member of New
Zealand's local internet community. I am also a member of the Pacific
Chapter of ISOC (PICISOC).

.      Statement of availability for the time the position requires.

I am available to carry out the functions required of a Council member
including  participating in meetings (by conference call or in person),
appropriate working groups, and mailing list discussions.

Joy Liddicoat

Project Coordinator

Internet Rights are Human Rights

 <http://www.apc.org> www.apc.org