Internet and Counter Terrorism Measures

David Cake dave at DIFFERENCE.COM.AU
Mon Oct 24 12:38:11 CEST 2011

Joy, I participated in a round table on the issue in 2009, organised by the Australian Security Policy Institute. Again, that meeting was Chatham House (with police and spook agency reps present), but the outcomes were quite publicly reported, with several of us invited to write a comment for publication.

Forum overall http://www.aspi.org.au/research/spf.aspx?tid=9
My comments http://www.aspi.org.au/research/spf_article.aspx?aid=62

I was actually quite pleased with the response then - the Australian agencies did not seem inclined to censorship, preferring to concentrate on monitoring, investigation, and engagement by moderate voices, all of which are made more difficult by active censorship. So censorship is not necessarily the response of all governments - hopefully some potential for useful dialogue here?

I'd be happy to stay in touch on this issue, and I hope to be doing more outreach to involved agencies in the near future myself.

Regards

David
(Chair of Electronic Frontiers Australia)