Slashdot: Continuing the Distributed DNS System

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Wed Oct 19 22:42:27 CEST 2011

Hi,

I do not think it is a threat to ICANN's structure.
Yes, it would affect the false monopoly, but as every other bit of ICANN folklore argues, competition breeds improvement and is better for the consumer.

Even if there were multiple roots, ICANN would presumably be the gold standard and would still control a good chunk of the market.  And since it is a public service entity, it really does not matter if a bit of its customer base migrates elsewhere.    Yes, a method would have to be reached for insuring naming uniqueness, but the RIRs, for example, have shown us the way where independent authorities can find ways to agree to policy formulations where addresses, an entity far more critical to the operation of the Internet, can be controlled by fully distributed authorities.  I can think of various ways in which uniqueness could be achieved even when alternate roots or naming constructs come into existence.

So while I am personally still committed to the ICANN solution, I really do not see the threat from other possible solutions.

avri
just starting to think for myself again (ncuc)