NCSG input on request for special privileges for Red Cross & International Olympic Committee regarding Internet domains

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Fri Oct 14 10:44:27 CEST 2011

WIPO and ICANN are two separate bodies. WIPO has always wanted to be involved in the domain name dispute process and, actually, long before the UDRP was formed and structured, WIPO had proposed another administrative policy, which WIPO was meant to be administering by itself. This proposal fell through and when the US Government approached WIPO for the UDRP, WIPO jumped on it. over the years, WIPO has sort of become the default authority over the rules and principles behind the UDRP, but this is more an issue of convention and habit rather than sustained in any official document. ICANN has with WIPO the same contractual agreements it has with NAF, the Czech Arbitration Court, and the other UDRP providers. Also, the services that WIPO provides for domain names are separate and unrelated to its work as a UN body on intellectual property issues, although WIPO tends to use the latter justification to sustain its authority over domain names and trademarks.
But, ultimately, ICANN is not bound to respect or follow WIPO’s proposals and recommendations.

KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Senior Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA