NCSG input on request for special privileges for Red Cross & International Olympic Committee regarding Internet domains

Andrew A. Adams aaa at MEIJI.AC.JP
Thu Oct 13 15:33:28 CEST 2011

> Andrew,
>
> Thanks for your clarifications...much appreciated... I agree very much with=
>  your recommendation.
>
> Is the majority saying that the mission of the organization is the determin=
> ant here? Red Cross and Red Crescent are humanitarian organizations and IOC=
>  is an elite sports organization....

It's the reason behind the reason. The humanitarian work of the ICRC is why
it has been accorded unique status as to have its name strongly protected
across much of the globe, to prevent its status being taken advantage of by
various actors including various governments potentially using it for spying,
covert military ops etc etc etc. Given that it has this unique status making
a one-off allowance for its extension into the domain names is unlikely to be
a battle we can win and in doing so may undermine our battle to prevent a
more general principle being enacted that any organisation with sufficient
clout can get a hold put on multiple TLD strings.

The international treaties only cover the exact terms and that is what many
of us have argued should be our position, that those terms in the treaties
and only those exact terms can be transferred to the DNS restrictions, and
only at the top level.

Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/