NCSG input on request for special privileges for Red Cross & International Olympic Committee regarding Internet domains

McTim dogwallah at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 13 06:33:02 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Alain Berranger
<alain.berranger at gmail.com> wrote:
> HI Milton,
> Are we mainly concerned with second level domain names? as trademarked
> and/or notorious gTLD names are dealt with: if you want to protect a
> valuable resource such as a name - usually trademarked (say Nobel Prize or
> Honda or Louis Vuitton or Apple or Red Cross) then the trademark holding
> body must apply for a corresponding gTLD, which will be used for primary
> purposes say jeanpierre.milan at design.louisvuitton. However, notoriety of a
> given name may not always match the financial robustness needed to apply for
> a gTLD, but that will be the exception, no? I'm not sure though. Is gTLD
> aiming at a single root or a family of similar roots (hence the suggestion
> to stick to strict international treaties nomenclature which I find
> interesting but insufficient)? so what happens to related names such as
> vuitton or vuitton bags or luis vutton... ICANN cannot substitute for INTA,
> WIPO, etc... it must only respect INTA, WIPO, etc... rules and regulations.
> Two hard calls: second level domain names with similar roots and also gTLD
> that are "super generic" like .ngo. .intl... which really nobody can claim
> ownership to!

FYI .int is in the root already, and PIR is going to bid for .ngo, why
should no one have access to those names?

--
Cheers,

McTim