for Debbie: Explaining votes made while representing NCSG while on GNSO Council

Debra Hughes HughesDeb at USA.REDCROSS.ORG
Wed Oct 12 15:21:55 CEST 2011

Thanks for your question, Robin.  My vote reflects the considered
opinion of the NPOC community.  During the discussion of the motion, Tim
Ruiz (the maker) explained the dissatisfaction by the law enforcement
community that important requests from their community were not included
among the possible policy revisions that would be considered in the
issues report.  Since the purpose of this request is intended to "assist
law enforcement in its long-term effort to address Internet-based
criminal activity" it seemed only reasonable that the scope of the
Issues report would include possible policy additions and revisions that
are very important to the group for which the initiative is designed to
assist.  It appears the interests of the registrars were addressed, but
we also think it is a prudent and fair approach to carefully and
meaningfully consider and weigh the input from an important group that
will be impacted by the policy changes, even if that stakeholder is not
a contracted party.  The NPOC supports open discussion and the value of
inputs from important stakeholders when considering the language and
creation of reports and policy development.

I ask the NCSG members to consider the perspective that some NGOs, non
profits and end users will benefit from robust improvements that will
assist law enforcement address Internet crime.   We respect that some in
NCSG may not agree; however, I look forward to sharing this important
perspective as a NSCG Councilor, if elected.  Also, I think NCSG
leadership should encourage its members to share their perspectives.

Debbie