VeriSign demands website takedown powers

Marc Perkel marc at CHURCHOFREALITY.ORG
Tue Oct 11 20:52:37 CEST 2011

On 10/11/2011 11:40 AM, Alex Gakuru wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Marc Perkel <marc at churchofreality.org
> <mailto:marc at churchofreality.org>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for the heads up Alex. I have some mixed feeling about this
>     as I am someone who wears two hats. So I'll throw the delema out
>     there and see what you all think.
>

> You are welcome.
>
>     First - as the founder of the Church of Reality and a former
>     employee of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (sys admin - not
>     lawyer) I and a fierce defender of free speech and due process,
>     keeping the hands of governments off the Internet. The Internet is
>     actually considered a holy object in the Church of Reality as it
>     is the central factor driving human evolution allowing us to
>     evolve into something that increases our chances of long term
>     survival, so we can continue to exist. If you fail to continue to
>     exist then you are no longer part of reality.
>

>     Just wondering if it would be useful to have some sort of
>     discussion about this for the sake of clarity.
>

> I read your "First" along question no. "*2 - With MOBILE CONNECTIVITY
> many of us are living a life that is “always on” or “hyperconnected.”
> Some people even say the Internet is an extension of our brains and we
> are becoming cyborgs – human-computer beings. How does being connected
> online all the time change us as humans?* "
> http://www.elon.edu/e-web/predictions/igf_2011/default.xhtml*
> *

Actually I agree that it is an extension of our brains. One can look at
all of humanity as a single giant organism that includes everyone and
all of our common technology. We are more like cells of a greater being.
Humans evolved language which allowed information to be preserved and
passed on. Then written language so information can be passed across
distance and time. Now we are in the computer age which is super fast
evolution. We are already cyborg in that we are now completely dependent
on our technology. The internet is the nervous system of this common
being and it is up to us to protect the future of humanity.