NCSG input on request for special privileges for Red Cross & International Olympic Committee regarding Internet domains

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 11 03:09:00 CEST 2011

I would presume that any (legal/political) foundations for giving
"special reserve status" (sld and tld) to some "terms connoting, in
certain context, a known /special/ political entity" such as the
Red-Cross/Crescent or the IOC would most likely rest on 2 analogies,
both of which I would argue have, themselves, weak
justifications/foundations for inclusions on a reserve list to begin with.

1st: The entity's relation with regard to States:

The first possible branch of justification, that I see, has some
organization possess a sense of entitlement to some part of a public
good because it is uniquely recognized by States and so "State-like" in
an unprecised yet somehow important sense; perhaps in the sense that
States exists (non-controversially, at least) when they are recognized
by other like-entities. And so I presume that there are (probably vague,
ill-formed, or otherwise imprecise) expressions of proximity to, or
analogies on, the State, as a justification/foundation for an entity's
name to be placed on a reserve list.

I'm not sure that there could be made an argument from this family of
justification/foundation for the *existence *of a reserve list itself,
though (i.e. i don't think that the existence of state-like entities,
including States themselves, justify prima faciae that a global commons
such as the DNS be somehow classified so as to grant those entities some
entitlement on some of its parts), but in actual practices countries
have carved out for themselves some DNS entitlement niches that may be
used as analogous grounds from which to extend this (unjustified?)
policy of reserving terms in the DNS.

This [very-]soft justification/foundation of the "quasi-sovereignty"
nature of an entity (or call it what you like) would need to be put
forth convincingly for me to agree with i) the existence of a reserve
list for such entities and, by extension, ii) for a rule properly
segregating inclusion on the reserve list.

2nd: The entity's name-string trademark-like protection:

The second possible foundation/justification branch or family of
argument, that I see, makes a leap from trademark protection /in a
market/ and with regard misuse, to a string's protection in the DNS,
either at the TLD or at the SLD level. The problems with having a rule
segregating properly resides in large part because TM does not restrict
a term outside it's market and location (e.g. there are many TM'ed
"Olympics" or "Budweiser"). So, as far as the existence of a reserve
list is called into question, since it is not equitable to reserve a
name that could be TM'ed multiple times accross locations and markets
for the sole benefit of one of the entity that had it TM'ed, I don't see
a convincing foundation for a reserve list. On the issue at hand, I read
art. 44 as well as art. 53 as restricting the use of the term Red Cross
and (or) emblem/logo in a specific "market" or use-case. I am no TM
lawyer but if it is ok to commercialize a Red-Cross brand for, say,
garbage bags or candy bars, then I don't see a reason for its inclusion
on a reserve-list. The TM foundation/justification for it  just does not
trigger an entitlement to a reserved DNS string. If the term's
protection under the conventions covers a very big span of uses, way
more than usual TM, then it would still need to show that it is
appropriate to have a reserve list for sovereign entities, after which
the case would have to made that a soft-sovereignty on its denoting
string would justify its inclusion on the reserve list.

Nicolas

(Note though that i'm fine with reserving "example" or some such, which
stems from a different foundation/justification for the existence and
the condition of existence of a reserve list).