NCSG input on request for special privileges for Red Cross & International Olympic Committee regarding Internet domains

Joy Liddicoat joy at APC.ORG
Mon Oct 10 23:12:25 CEST 2011

This is an interesting discussion, but I agree with others that the real
issue is not whether the Red Cross is "special" enough to ask for particular
privileges. A similar case can be made for Human Rights Watch, Amnesty
International, or any other the several hundred civil society groups that
have special United Nations status under UN accreditation guidelines.

The real issue is: do we allocate special privileges to particular
categories of registrants and, if so, on what grounds?

IPR protection has its place, but it is only one point of reference and
generally a very blunt tool which with to carve out policy principles for
domain names that are fair to everyone. The IOC, for example, has a
discriminatory policy in relation to use of its mark. It allows the use of
"Olympic" for many purposes, including for sporting events for disabled
people, but has not allowed this for gay and lesbian sporting events. The
result is that GLBTI athletes can use such international sporting events to
qualify for IOC and other sports rankings (and, as a result, to compete in
the Olympics), event organisers can only use the words "Gay Games" or
similar.

To allow the IOC to perpetuate this discrimination at the second level - for
example in relation to .gay - would be wrong. The GAC should be asked if it
is willing to acknowledge these points, and to work constructively towards a
policy framework that takes us beyond a simple reserve list that can
privilege and reinforce existing inequities.

Joy