Question 7: Registrars

Joy Liddicoat joy at APC.ORG
Fri Oct 7 06:47:51 CEST 2011

Question7:  In terms of the RAA, what are you views on modifying that that
agreement.  How do you view the relationship between the Registrars and the
ICANN Community?
The relationship is a critical one. Many Registrars do a great job for
registrants, using the RAA to do so. Support for the role of Registrars and
the fundamental importance of the RAA would be strengthened by increased
transparency and accountability for setting Registrar duties.

Just as I have concerns about the increasing use of ISPs for law enforcement
and as content monitors (eg in relation to intellectual property), I have
serious reservations about attempts to increase the role of Registrars as
gatekeepers for these or other purposes. I share the concerns of others
about improper interference with the role of Registrars - many registrants
need to use proxies for perfectly valid reasons.

At the same time, we need to find constructive ways to engage with
Registrars and other stakeholders on these issues. One way is through an
open process of discussing modifications to the RAA.

Joy

-----Original Message-----
From: NCSG-Discuss [mailto:NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Avri
Doria
Sent: Friday, 30 September 2011 8:21 p.m.
To: NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Question 7: Registrars

As I have not been able to get a conference call scheduled yet, I am
starting the question process.  I suggest that all candidates answer all
questions.  I suggest that they feel free to debate among themselves and
with the members of the NCSG.

Thanks

Avri

Question7:  In terms of the RAA, what are you views on modifying that that
agreement.  How do you view the relationship betwee the Registrars and the
ICANN Community?