Question 7: Registrars

Debra Hughes HughesDeb at USA.REDCROSS.ORG
Wed Oct 5 16:58:22 CEST 2011

Registrars are the gateway for registrants to acquire domain names, thus
their role is critical to registrants and Internet users.  I support
ensuring that registrars comply with the RAA and that ICANN ensures the
registrars are accountable when they do not comply.  I support regular
and robust audits by ICANN of accredited registrars to ensure they are
complying with their RAAs.  I support graduated, yet reasonable
sanctions for registrar non-compliance.

I think the actual owner of a domain name should be provided if a third
party can demonstrate that it is being harmed.  I modifying the RAA to
make it clear that domain name licensors (proxy or private registration
services) are required to keep accurate and complete contact information
for it customers - domain name licensees - and that the registrar
collect and provide a point of contact for the domain name licensee that
can be provided upon a fair and reasonable showing of actionable harm
caused by domain name.

Debbie
Debra Y. Hughes, Senior Counsel
American Red Cross