NCSG input on request for special privileges for Red Cross & International Olympic Committee regarding Internet domains

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Oct 5 15:02:31 CEST 2011

Protected from what?

Since when does someone own .ngo? If so, who?

Why .intl? Who has rights in that? Why?

JFC, I believe that the whole attitude here is wrong. I strongly resist the idea that we can create fiat global property rights in alphanumeric character strings just because someone on an email list thinks it's a good idea to "protect" whatever happens to be his or her pet organization. Lets try to be more systematic and think about long term consequences, clear rules, etc.

--MM