Question 3: Issues over the next years

Wendy Seltzer wendy at SELTZER.COM
Tue Oct 4 19:12:48 CEST 2011

On 09/30/2011 03:20 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Question 3: What do you foresee as the most important issue for the NCSG during the next year.  2 years?

New gTLDs will consume much of everyone's time and attention. Critical
for NCSG will be to assure that the final roll-out matches the consensus
points on which we fought hard: keeping censorship out of the root-entry
process; assuring fairness for applicants and for would-be registrants;
making sure that trademark protections are balanced with protections for
the registrants of non-infringing strings; assuring access for a diverse
range of applicants (building on the work of the JAS group); and stable
operation of the process; watching where the money goes from auctions.
We'll also want to stay involved in the early evaluations to ensure that
definitions of "choice" and "competition" are used and applied accurately.

In new and old gTLDs, I think we need to continue to push for privacy
protection.  Individual and non-commercial registrants shouldn't be
forced to trade privacy for a stable location for online speech.

At a procedural level, NCSG will want to stay vigilant that ICANN remain
responsive to ALL its stakeholders.

--Wendy
--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org +1 914-374-0613
Fellow, Yale Law School Information Society Project