[npoc-voice] Re: [NCSG-Discuss] Notes from NCSG-EC Teleconference on 8 November 2011

nhklein nhklein at GMX.NET
Wed Nov 16 17:13:13 CET 2011

Thanks, KK, for your useful research.

While this clarifies some aspects of the USOC, I think at the end we
will have to find more ways than using such legal terms to clarify the
concerns under discussion.

There surely are no broadly accepted definitions of "non-commercial" and
"not for profit" which we can use as an international community. Of
course there are - different!!! - legal clarifications in different
countries. We cannot just go by US legal statements - ICANN is working
in different legal contexts.

As some contributors to the discussion said: We need an common sense
understanding that is widely useful - also in Cambodia I want to add (as
an example for many others).

Years ago, the NCUC discussion list was almost derailed for some time
because a small, non-commercial and not-for-profit local sports club was
a member, and dominated the discussion for some time with formalities:
Yes, their club was was not-for-profit, they had a website - but they
were not in agreement that the majority of the NCUC membership at that
time was interested to discuss ICANN "politics" and we had general Civil
Society concerns: like the effort to keep ICANN staying within the
security and stability mandate, and not to be dominated by commercial
interests, and we were concerned with freedom of expression - at that
time a problem maybe in Cambodia, but not yet in countries like the USA
where at present there is an intensive effort going on NOT to pass the
SOPA legislation, etc.

To focus mainly on clear-cut legal statements - thanks to KK for lifting
these up - will not solve fundamental problems related to what we should
be and do together.

Norbert Klein
Phnom Penh

=

--
A while ago, I started a new blog:

...thinking it over... after 21 years in Cambodia
http://www.thinking21.org/

continuing to share reports and comments from Cambodia.

Norbert Klein
nhklein at gmx.net
Phnom Penh / Cambodia