[npoc-voice] Re: [NCSG-Discuss] Notes from NCSG-EC Teleconference on 8 November 2011

Ron Wickersham rjw at ITSMYINTERNET.ORG
Wed Nov 16 08:28:03 CET 2011

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, Andrew A. Adams wrote:

> All,
>
> For me, the key question is not necessarily whether an organisation is
> non-profit or non-commercial in its main activities, but whether its interest
> in the domain name space is primarily commercially-oriented or
> non-commercially oriented.

i concurr with Andrew's criteria above.  i represent one legally qualified
non-profit organization formally, and a few informally, yet am employed at
a small business and represent their interest in the domain name space.

i should like to point out that a small commercial organization is almost
perfectly aligned with non-commercial organizations concerns, while
having essentially no resonance at all with large commercial organizations
or large non-profit organizations.

the point Andrew raises to discriminate on the orientation of the
organization or individual according to its/his/her interests in the NCSG
would allow participation of a larger slice of the Internet community to
voice in concert working together.

i'm resigned to the fact that the words non-commercial and commercial have
been chosen to divide into groups, yet in retrospect feel that small and
large would fit better.  is it beyond consideration to make NCSG accepting
of small commercial organizations in addition to individuals, small non-
profit organizations and large non-profit organizations?

-ron