Nomination for NCUC Chair

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Mon Nov 21 18:19:06 CET 2011

Dear all,

I would like to thank Carlos for nominating me for a second term as Chair of NCUC and all those who have seconded his nomination. I feel very honoured.

I think that the past few years have been great for non-commercial users in ICANN; we really put our mark in many critical ICANN issues and we have managed to influence policies that would be detrimental to non-commercial interests. The rejection of the IRT report, our active participation in policy and working groups like the STI, WHOIS and JAS are only but few examples where NCUC has successfully influenced policy directions. And, all this, has been done through the collectiveness of NCUC and through the participation of all the various members in discussion lists and forums. So, I am very proud to be part of this group and to have had the chance to represent this group for one year.

Quite a lot of discussion has taken place recently regarding issues of transparency within NCUC and, in a more general context, issues of democratic processes. I, for one, do not believe that NCUC is suffering either from lack of transparency or democratic processes. We all need to bear in mind that democracy means both transparency and accountability. And, in all the decisions that have been made by myself as part of being the Chair of NCUC, have been made on the basis of my accountability to the whole membership of NCUC. They have been made bearing in mind the interests, the views and the perspectives of all of you when discussing the various issues. Myself, along with the Executive Committee of NCUC, have made decisions on what we believed, at the time, was at the best interest of non-commercial users.

I am not going to sit and claim that mistakes have not been made. Of course they have; but these mistakes were not to the detriment of democracy and they never amounted to the generalisations that have been insinuated in this list. The EC, even at a late stage, was involved in all major decisions concerning travel allocation issues and representatives in the various committees. Now, if these issues should be deliberated before the whole membership is certainly a matter of debate, but in all fairness, I believe that if that should be the case, then there is no reason for the EC to exist and be mandated to make any decisions. So, I support all my decisions and, in the understanding of repeating myself, were done on the basis of how best non-commercial users and interests could be represented.

I would like to thank the outgoing officers of the NCUC EC for their support and collaboration throughout this year. I have worked closely with many of you and each one has contributed significantly in advancing, securing and promoting non-commercial interests. Guys it has been a privilege working with you.

I believe NCUC is a group with principles and vision and it is for this reason that I am accepting Carlos' nomination. Now that we have gone through the turmoil of having a new stakeholder group charter and of having more formal processes relating to the relationship between NCUC and NCSG, I think the road is clear for us to work on substance. Alongside the existing issues (UDRP, WHOIS, LEA, etc.), the new gTLDs are about to roll out and there are a lot of issues we need to pay attention to. So, I am looking forward to working with all of you in the coming year, as Chair or just as a member, in advancing non-commercial interests.

Thank you

KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Senior Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA