Nomination of Nuno Garcia-NCUC

Nuno Garcia ngarcia at NGARCIA.NET
Thu Nov 17 23:46:00 CET 2011

Dear Konstantinos, dear all:

I am honored by this nomination, that I humbly accept.

I understand that this is a service we are doing to our community, even if
it is a virtual community rather than a physical one.

I also understand that to represent a group of users with similar interest
and problems, a different mindset is needed, where one's individual opinion
and beliefs must be used to capture as much as possible the feeling of the
community.

As to the NCUC, I think we may need to enlarge our member basis. We cannot
point to others faults, and then, with only a few hundred members (as good
as these may be) claim that we represent the community in a meaningful
manner. And we need to learn how to communicate in a inclusive manner -
some of the messages in this list are so full of technicalities that are
hard to understand.

Doing this will allow us to access new opinions and perspectives, and this
will increase our overall degree of colective wisdom, making our decisions
stronger and more beatiful.

Talking a bit about myself, I am Portuguese, and travelled a bit around the
world. I hold a PhD in Computer Science and Engineering and consider myself
a Computer Scientist, with all the good and bad connotations that this
statement carries. Professionaly, I am an Assistant Professor and a
Researcher.

I am a strong supporter of Human Rights and I believe in decisions made on
these grounds - Human Values should always guide our judgement.

I hope my service to this community is worthy of your choice.

Best,

Nuno Garcia