Finishing up the Dakar NCUC agenda

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Wed Nov 2 19:57:05 CET 2011

Thanks very much, Wendy, for focusing us on the important policy issues facing noncommercial users at ICANN in the coming months.

I'd like to propose that we spend the first hour of the November NCSG Open Policy Meeting focusing on these "big picture" policy goals as you suggest.  (The NCSG Open Policy Mtg will be scheduled at the end of this week for sometime between 14-16 November.)   So it would be great if members who have opinions, expertise or desired outcomes on any of the below policy issues come to that meeting ready to discuss them and to volunteer to work on them in the next year.  Thanks again!

All best,
Robin

On Oct 31, 2011, at 5:58 AM, Wendy Seltzer wrote:

> On 10/31/2011 06:24 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
>>
>> Any answer regarding plans to finish the NCUC meeting?
>
> I don't speak for NCUC, but in developing NCSG policy, I'd love to
> convene people online and/or in real-time voice/chat to discuss issue
> areas for focus in the next 6-12 months.
>
> Among those I see on the table:
>
> Registrar Accreditation and Law Enforcement requests
> registrants' rights
> best practices for domain name suspension (it's happening;
>  at least it should happen with due process checks and controls)
> UDRP review, and other TM-rights-protection mechanisms (RPMs)
> Engagement with developing countries
> Engagement with the GAC
> New gTLD roll-out
> Technical security and stability
>
> ...and I'm sure I'm missing several.
>
> I'd love to see volunteers from among the membership take leadership of
> issue areas and commit to watching for developments, tracking
> opportunities for involvement and NCSG response, and drafting issue
> analyses and public comments.
>
> --Wendy
> NCSG Councilor, individual registrant, NCUC
>
> --
> Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org +1 914-374-0613
> Fellow, Yale Law School Information Society Project
> Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University
> http://wendy.seltzer.org/
> https://www.chillingeffects.org/
> https://www.torproject.org/
> http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org