Tom Morris takes on xxx

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Wed Mar 23 04:49:38 CET 2011

Taxes don't cover all externalities.  :-)

When a taxed-out-the-wazoo cigarette is nevertheless being smoked in my
presence, there is still a negative externality being shoved down my lungs,
which I really don't care for, personally.  It's a real and tangible cost
to me, and no amount of taxation will prevent any specific individual
occurrence.

Only regulations to create smoke-free zones can do that, and that's not
about morality.  I assume that Marc is complaining about regulations that
prohibit smoking indoors in many public places, including offices and
restaurants.  'Course they have those in NYC too, not sure why he picked on
SF in particular, its common in many urban cities these days, AIUI.  I
really appreciate those regulations because it means I can enjoy entering
those spaces without risk of having to remove myself from the premises
before I finish whatever I'm doing there.

If smoking did nothing other than make the smoker sick (as well as
satisfying the addiction, or on rare occasions burning down the smoker's
house) I wouldn't care at all.  This is not a moral issue for me about the
smoker; if it's a moral issue at all it's about giving non-smokers who are
physically reactive to second-hand smoke like me the right not to be
attacked as such.

I guess "fairness" depends on where you smoke, er, sit?

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.