Tom Morris takes on xxx

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Wed Mar 23 01:17:26 CET 2011

You had me until you went for the car in SF.  ;-)

That's about negative externalities, which are not sins but impose costs
on other people -- you're just paying for the costs you impose on others.

I work in SF but live outside -- I rarely drive in, usually drive to BART
and ride in.  There's just no room for all those cars.  Congestion has a
price, and congestion is the price of population density (which has
networking benefits).  It's all trade-offs.

Not *everything* is about religion...  ;-)

Dan

PS:  As a non-smoker, I can't really deal with other people's second-hand
smoke, makes me choke -- it imposes a cost on me when I'm forced to
breathe it (or try to hold my breath until I can walk away).  So part of
this is about who gets to impose what costs on others, and gets to prevent
costs being imposed on themselves.

So ultimately it's about power, not morality, though morality is often
offered up as an excuse for power-driven policies...

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.