ICANN Responds to GAC

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Mon Mar 7 06:49:27 CET 2011

Quite a few governments, usually developing country, don't entirely
trust the processes involved: they've seen names of products and
culture trademarked by people in the North, used in dot com (for
example) second level names, and there's a concern the same will
happen with new gTLDs.

Why should they pay to protect something connected with national
sovereignty? They won't be making challenges for personal (individual
or corporate) gain, but for citizens.

In the TLD space many have gone through a redelegation to get their
ccTLD "back". I'm not sure I see its as getting the thing "back", but
some govt do.  There's no fee involved in a redelegation. But it's
extremely costly. Some I think see new objection process as a kind of
extension of the same -- an externally imposed cost.

It costs to object, govt will need staff to do something, might even
need a lawyer...  The fee ICANN asks for might be small, there may be
higher costs.

Most govt do not have a budget line for making a payment of this kind
to a private sector organization.  Doesn't matter if just a couple of
hundred dollars, there is no mechanism to make a payment.  People
involved on the IGF will remember many govt cannot give money to
support the forum for the same reason: it's an odd organization,
doesn't fit with most govt budget lines so they can't give when many
genuinely want to.

And many really don't want to pay a private US corporation,
particularly given ICANN's odd international status.  Matter of
principle.

And Avri's very likely right.

Adam