Thoughts about Internet Freedom

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 6 17:45:46 CET 2011

Hi Jorge,

I have to disagree on 2 points (or 1 and a half).

We should judge the importance of the Internet by putting it on the axis
of discoveries that includes the printing press. Seen from this light,
the Internet might very well be the most important invention ever.
Especially if we take a step back and we say that "Internet" is a
"process", an emergent thing, then its place at the very top of our list
of important invention is, i would say, very much settled.

(That being said, i can see that some other "inventions" might be very
deserving also)

On the relevance of identifying as the main axis of contention that of
"government control vs multi-stakeholderism", and of fighting over this
axis, i would also say that it is proper. I'm not sure if you were fully
making the point that is should not be the main axis of contention, but
if you were, i would have to disagree. It's not the only axis of
contention on which we should dwell, by far, but it is an important one.

To quote a very interesting Canadian (Bill St-Arnaud),

"While Gutenberg did invent the printing press he only saw it as a tool
for more efficient copying of the Bible. It was an Englishman named
William Tyndale who grasped the significance of the printing press as a
way of mass distribution and educating the masses. For his troubles he
was burned at the stake by the Catholic Church – a fate that many telco
executives, movie and record producers could only wish upon those who
are fighting for an open Internet today."

Nicolas