Questions for The Board-NCSG meeting

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at TELEMEDINT.NET
Fri Jun 10 13:22:02 CEST 2011

Hello Everyone,

I have opted to comment here on the list rather than on the doodle poll as
it seems voter turnout is still low as of yet.

Regarding question 4 and specifically the question put forward between
parenthesis:

> 4.   Trademark Issues
>
> Does the Board recognize that there's a large diffuse group of
non-trademark-holders and language-users who are fed up with the way TM
interests keep redrawing   > previously concluded issues?  How is the Board
working to finalize decisions and stick to them?

> (should we add a note that say: We recognize that there is a candidate
constituency within the NCSG that supports the TM interests who are not fed
up with this   > activity.  Please use the comment area of the poll or the
list to comment.)

The whole purpose of the poll is to decide by majority what questions to put
forward to the ICANN BOD. We did not, as a stakeholder group, hold an
initial poll to determine whether there was consensus on the options
presented or not, nor was it suggested that this was a necessity at all, but
rather these options were suggestions presented by the members. In fact, I
can't see how we can be sure there is consensus on any of the suggested
questions by all the members of the NCSG.

Should the question be selected by the poll, that will represent the
majority opinion of all who decided to participate. Although it is
understandable that the candidate constituency mentioned has reservations
regarding TM issues being included, and all opinions expressed on this list
should be respected equally; in my humble opinion, I believe that adding a
comment like the one suggested between parenthesis to the question will
undermine it greatly. This will not do justice for all who would like the
question answered. I hope that all who oppose TM issues being included show
understanding in this and consider the importance of a unified position by
the NCSG with the Board.

Thanks.

Amr