Fwd: [ NNSquad ] "UK Guardian Observer" article against Internet anonymity

Nuno Garcia ngarcia at NGARCIA.NET
Tue Jul 26 13:46:24 CEST 2011

Cross posting, looks relevant.

WR,

Nuno Garcia

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren at vortex.com>
Date: 26 July 2011 00:40
Subject: [ NNSquad ] "UK Guardian Observer" article against Internet
anonymity
To: nnsquad at nnsquad.org

"UK Guardian Observer" article against Internet anonymity
http://j.mp/p5Lz0O  (This message on Google+)

 - - -

http://j.mp/oMqueZ  (Guardian/Observer article)

  "Though there are repressive regimes when anonymity is a prerequisite
   of freedom, and occasions in democracies when anonymity must be
   preserved, it is clear when those reservations might apply.
   Generally, though, who should be afraid to stand up and put their
   name to their words? And why should anyone listen if they don't?"

 - - -

I've discussed the complexity of these issues many times of course,
but for reference regarding my take on this specifically in
relation to Google+, please see: "Google+'s 'Identity' Controversy: No
Easy Answers":
http://j.mp/ny8XFd  (Lauren's Blog)

and:

"Google+, Privacy, and Balancing Identity":
http://j.mp/qhfelo  (Lauren's Blog)

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein (lauren at vortex.com): http://www.vortex.com/lauren
Co-Founder <http://www.vortex.com/laurenCo-Founder>: People For Internet
Responsibility: http://www.pfir.org
Founder:
 - Global Coalition for Transparent Internet Performance:
http://www.gctip.org
 - PRIVACY Forum: http://www.vortex.com
Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800 / Skype: vortex.com