discussion on xxx domain? [ncsg-policy] Draft NCSG comments to GNSO Council on Rec 6

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 14 18:01:11 CET 2011

Post-scriptum: Guys i wish i had more time, but i have a plane to catch
(vacation for me, 1 week, no emails ;) ). This draft is not finished
(but was too much advanced that i would not send it), and i hope i can
engage on it with some of you in the very near future. Sorry if it cuts
short the whole of my thought experiment, which was to pit various
tld-regulating scenarios against their probable porn-outcome, and thus
finish with the practical. As is, this is merely the philosophical
introduction to what i would have liked to say. So here goes:

Dear Caroline, Nuno, all

This is a surprisingly civil and engaging exchange/debate, for a subject
that is potentially passionately felt, and i commend you both for this.
Before engaging it, i will not hide my opinions and will say that i am
in near-total agreement with Nuno, as well as with Andrew. But I have no
wish to pretend that only opinions similar to these are receivable.
Indeed, we are ourselves *and* our circumstances, and our moral
sensibilities are by no means universal. I will engage this with
complete disregard to all the very good arguments that can be made with
regard to the deleterious effects of censorship, and i will thus humor
only Caroline's points.

But first:
Franklin's comment about "he who sacrifice a little liberty for a little
security deserves neither and will lose them both" has always rang true
to my heart, and my head. Privacy is a prime example where the wisdom of
this axiom can be understood: Privacy isn't just a liberty-type asset,
it is also a security-type asset (lets think about it in the context of
a scenario -- our worse RFID nightmare, where everyone, police and
thugs, have access to our whereabouts in real time -- how secure do we
feel? and how free?). Hence, when you sacrifice a little privacy for a
purported increase in your security, you  have not only depleted your
privacy, but your liberty and security as well (or are on your way to).

Now i'll readily grant that this is no blanket reason to adopt a
hands-off approach with regards regulation of everything and anything.

back to pornography:
I find most pornography to be an inesthetical social phenomenon (i'm an
unrepentant relativist, and never uses the "moral" category -- this may
offend some of you but bear in mind that it enables me to respect your
reasonned outrage towards this unrepentant relativism, with, perhaps,
more open-mindedness and understanding towards your foundations than are
usually shown mine). There is something deeply repulsive about seeing
sexual labour, of all labour, being forced onto someone (lets face it,
it is mostly women) by circumstances. When those circumstances are mould
by shaddy characters, it is all the more repulsive.

But if I say i find "most" pornography thus repulsive, of course, it is
because the issue of defining pornography arises when we attempt to
reason on the subject. I would not lump all graphic sexyness, some of
which of definite good taste, into the "bad" bucket. Indeed, when i
think about the history of my own little place on earth, i am able to
form the opinion that, without a doubt (for me), one of the great gains
brought about by many feminists battles is that my sisters, my mother
and my nieces can dress freely, engaging in sexyness without fear if
they so wish, are able to wear a swimsuit without generating massive
droolings by men or being frowned upon by whole communities, and
like-liberties are thus theirs. With respect to the contrarian opinion,
i prefer my daughter to be able to express herself,  sexualy and
otherwise, freely, and I feel that one of the most important stepping
stone of feminists gains has been that which liberated their body from
generalized norms of righteousness that have their whole array of social
consequences. That's how i "feel it".

"Now surely", Caroline may object, "i can't find anything up there that
would warrant objecting to my proposition of forcing it all in the same
place by law (or one of its global derivative) for the purpose of
regulating its access, even if i grant that some freedom of sexyness is
something important that we women should not lose". But i do. The reason
for it basically being that it doesn't help one single bit, and mostly
serves to throw more blame around, more blame onto some people that
might not be all that deserving of it.

For all its distastefullness, sexual exploitation is here to stay. With
that in mind, let's split the rest of this thought experiment between
two groups, 1) women who engage in pornography and 2) the society that
receives pornography.

1) In the abstract, people with good intentions often end-up beaten on
the very persons that are deemed to be the first and foremost victims.
We see this with tough laws against prostitution, which are (re)enacted
with complete disregard to the actual evidence that suggests that we are
harming women even more, and not stalling the phenomenon in the least
bit. It is as though, in effect, we are not trying to protect them at
all and are more concerned with keeping the neibhorhood up to a certain
esthetical standard. With respect to forcing pronography into a .xxx, i
will grant that this objection is unwarranted. Women will probably not
be worse off afterwards. The women that do engage in it because of
circumstances (but lets also grant, please, that no matter how
distasteful this might sound to some of you, some women active in the
wide adult industry are very much proud of what they do, and if you did
it, wouldn't you be?), might very well feel a little ostracized, but
nothing huge. Will this have an impact on the industry, no. On the
women, no. But it still serve to show that the principle of banning
something that is here to stay, is a bad principle, in the abstract. e.
g. I strongly believe that prostitutes would be better off with an
accountant and a doctor than with a pimp, if we must chose. Again, even
though you who read this may be a women, please don't ascribe to the
women who indulge John's everywhere the incapacity to choose, as i don't
defend the phenomenon solely on their purported capacity to chose. Let's
all agree, please, that there is some choice and some circumstances, and
the discussion will be enhanced.

2) I have to take issue with assertions that, in my opinion, are a bit
fast with regards to ascribing root cause to some other phenomenon.
Causality is, unfortunately, a bit too freely ascribed with regards to
some of the worlds woes and problems, and similarly, some of the worlds
"problems" are very much multi-faceted, as i tried to show briefly above.

2-a) on the impact of pornography on society:

I can see very little harm *caused* to society by the presence of
pornography (and since i have to leave this conversation early, i will
wait for others to precise what harms are brought about by it). In
short: I do not accept as fact that pornography is "freely accesible" to
children. Pornography is best filtered by parents, not nations. But
again, wish i had more time.

2-b) on how to diminish circumstances that might quite inesthetically
force sexual labor:

Attacking a phenomenon isn't the same as attacking its root causes.
Poverty, wealth gap, drug trafficking and addiction, and many other
things again, are amongst the causes for the most inesthetical aspects
of this phenomenon, the aspects that go to exploitation or that see
circumstances outweighs choices and liberty. I would dare venture,
though, that the cultures that are the most closed to sexual
expressiveness are causing comparatively more sexual labor than the ones
that are more open. And so, ironically, one of the root causes of the
phenomenon might well be the very righteous generalisations that are
brought up as reasons against pornography (or access to).

Again, as i am thin on time, i will come back to 2a and 2b if there is
some interest to discussing this further. And i would also hope to show

3) the likely effects of various regulating scenarios (revolving around
"forcing" pornography on a specific TLD) would have on the phenomenon.

In the mean time, i bid you all a good week end, and i'm off to some
sunny shores.

Nicolas

Dear Nuno,