FW: [ncsg-policy] Draft NCSG comments to GNSO Council on Rec 6

Andrew A. Adams aaa at MEIJI.AC.JP
Thu Jan 13 01:59:18 CET 2011

Dwi,

I did not say that you know nothing about ICANN and its issues. I pointed out
that you accused me of setting NCSG policy and asked what gave me that right,
and then pointed out that what I stated was settled NCSG policy from the
group, not set by me (though I happen to be one of those who fully support
that policy and agreed with its adoption). We also have a history of being a
group which is formed around the basis, as Nuno eloquently said, of freedom
and human values. You are welcome to the group and welcome to put your views
forward, but the dogmatic tone you adopted and the accusation that I was
somehow dictating group policy were not welcome. Before commenting on any
issue, whether that be the .xxx issue or the MAPO issue, that has already had
significant discussion in this group it is not only polite, but in your best
interests, to review the discussions of the group prior to your joining it.
You came in like "a bull in a china shop" complaining about decisions already
made. It is your right as a member of the group to raise issues including
requesting a reconsideration of previous decisions in the light of new
evidence, circumstances or a change in the group make-up, but doing so
without checking the background in the group misses the concomitant
responsibility to ensure that debates here are not fruitless re-treading of
old ground every time a single new member comes along.

I value diverse opinions in this group, not least because it is only in
argument with passionate, informed, intellectually rigorous people that my
own ideas can find their full expression. The results of those arguments will
not always be to everyone's satisfaction as sometimes it is the underlying
assumptions about life that differ and those are rarely changed by argument,
but at least with clear polite argument we can identify where out differences
are on assumptions, analyses or desirability of outcome.

Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/