New GTLDs: Upcoming GNSO Council Meeting

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Sun Dec 18 23:16:12 CET 2011

Interesting point of view.  This interprets the SGs as rather "less" than I
thought they were intended to be, but perhaps this is just a learning
process on my part.

I guess I'm not used to having "housemates" in the NC world of ICANN,
especially when they barge in and start rearranging the furniture without
asking.

Also, IIRC NCUC-ers generally weren't entirely pleased with the NCSG
charter in the first place, so perhaps this is another reflection of that
displeasure.  Perhaps the charter *should* have precluded official
constituency-branded communications outside the SG (free speech is an
individual right, not necessarily an institutional right, unless you
consider institutions to be people -- and that [corporate personhood, etc.]
is itself a matter of contention amongst many in civil society).  The point
is not the individual expression, but rather the institutional branding of
that expression in an institutional representative context.

Is there a process for amending the charter?  If so, would there be
interest in adding this provision to it?

I'm not sure I particularly like the sub-lease for this housemate arrangement.

But, if the new housemate is going to play hardball, I guess we have to
play hardball in response.

Whether we will "learn to live with each other with the same degree of
harmony" remains to be seen.  It takes two to tango.  The new housemate
seems to like to dance alone, and consistently spurns advances to dance
together, whatever disingenuous rhetoric may be spouted along the way, when
they choose to communicate directly at all.

Living together in harmony requires a good-faith attitude on all sides.
Still looking for the good faith, here.  The focus seems to be so much on
the differences and independence and so little on common interests and
engagement in relationship-building.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.