[liaison6c] IRTP Part C Request for Input Template

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Thu Dec 1 17:18:05 CET 2011

On 1 Dec 2011, at 09:59, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Can you tell us what the issues are? How does the inter-registrar transfer process affect our members?

First I do not know the specific ways in which the IRTP affects our members, figuring that out is part of the task.

As registrants, the process by which Registrars transfer names from one Registrar to another is concern or from one person to another is a concern.  Anyone who has ever done a transfer from one registrar to another will see that it is a complex process and that there are ways to hung up in it - e.g. in reasons for non transfer that can inhibit transfer of control from one Registrar to another:

1.Evidence of Fraud
2.UDRP Action
3.Court Order
4.Reasonable dispute over the identity of the Transfer Contact
5.Non-payment for previous registration period
6.Express written object from the Transfer Contact
7.Domain Name was already “locked” *
8.Transfer was requested within 60 days of creation date
9.Transfer was requested within 60 days of previous transfer

Part of the complexity comes from there being no policy for 'transfer of control".  One consequence, since the process has also not been de-facto standardized, is that the process are  different for different (registry, registrar pair) pairs.   I am not sure what we will see when looking at use cases but that is one of the things the group will be doing.  I admit I am most interested in the intersection of the lack of process and variable process with the transfer of control from one registrant to another whether due to UDRP process or local governmental action.  I expect that there ares other whose concern relates primarily to possible use of the ad-hoc processes to gain control fraudulently and other things that get termed hijacking.

In consideration of reasons 8 & 9 above, some have seen an opportunity for registrars to block certain re-transfers in the case of error, or dissatisfaction. In any case 60 days can be a long time.

Another issue that comes up in the IRTP is resolution of dispute resolution in the transfer process.

Then again, even if I saw no specific concerns for NCSG members, I would think it reasonable on every PDP for a variety of members and especially the policy committee members to take a detailed look at the issues report and the template and make sure there were no issues.  And I personally think that the Policy Committee(s) should attempt to get a response in on every PDP, even if it is short and sweet and says that we have no concerns with this issue because we think it is really just a RySG-RrSG process issue.

avri

For reference, from the WG charter & C/SG comment template: